What I look for when I meet any individual or group. Operating an international business, you engage with dozens of people on a regular basis, below is what really sets them apart. You can consider this my unofficial/subjective grading system.
1) Ethics - this is the most important quality that I look for. Strong ethics in all aspect of life. Either its working or in school or the companies core value. Ethics is me means no matter what you do, you give your full dedication and do it with high moral. Whatever job you have, you do it in the 'right way'.
2) Value - Having strong values is another important factor. Values are the cornerstone of our society. Having someone who will stick up for themselves due to their values and would disagree with you is a lot better than having a mime. Not the say mime's are bad, just the value their add is limited to the task they are mimicking. Its not when you are right that's important, its more when you are wrong, someone to tell you that you are wrong.
3) Loyalty - Confidentiality is a virtue of the loyal, as loyalty is the virtue of faithfulness. Loyalty is a key factor that I admire. Its a hard characteristic to measure and its usually tested over time. A person who is confident in himself would be loyal. I am a strong believer of the phase 'never bite the hand the feeds you'
4) Humbleness - I like people who are humble, simple and easy to work with it. You know the mentality that all people are equal. It doesn't matter if your a celebrity or a multi-millionaire, you are not better/worse than anyone else. End of it all, we are all going to the same place. You want to see how humble someone is, take them to a restaurant and see how they treat the waiter. If they are your employees, ask them to do task which are below their pay grade.
5) Visionaries - Live your vision and demand your success.
Amar Gandhi, 28