A few weeks ago, I asked my fellow Instagram people and bots, if they are a wire and a plug. I would say it was an even split between the two, between those that are wire and those that are plugs. I even got a dozen of confused messages asking what does that mean, wire or a plug?
I swear I have not indulged in any natural or chemically engineered substances.
The whole concept of wires and plugs is about who we are in society. What our strength and weakness are. However ones we realize who we are, we can use that to our advantage and focus on achieving goals.
Two plugs without any wires are useless and two wires without any plugs are useless.
So what is a plug? By definition it's "a device for making an electrical connection, especially between an appliance and a power supply, consisting of an insulated casing with metal pins that fit into holes in an outlet." How does that apply to people. Plugs are usually people who connect everything together. They are vital for any projects. Although, they may not seem like they are doing anything they actually play an important part in our society. They have a special skill set of attracting, motivating and inspiring people. They perform the best when working with people - using the strength and weakness of people. Just because you are a plug, doesn't mean you have great leadership qualities or are controlling. It just means, you know how to get things done - usually by putting 2 and 2 together, rather than doing it all yourself.
What's a wire? By definition it's "a wire or wire rope by which force is exerted to control or operate a mechanism" They are very important as they themselves, get things done. They are responsible to delivering a target or sets of targets. They are specialized, highly focused individuals who when connected with other wires and the right plug, become a formidable combination. I always like to see myself as a wire, versus a plug. A plug can have multiple wires attached to it to deliver a function. Having multiple wires without a plug is useless.
So think about it. What role do you play in society. Are you a wire or plug. One is not better or superior than the other, it's just different.
Most Important Keep a Positive Attitude
The Motivation Technique: 10 Steps
1. Start simple
Keep motivators around your work area – things that give you that initial spark to get going.
2. Keep good company
Make more regular encounters with positive and motivated people. This could be as simple as IM chats with peers or a quick discussion with a friend who likes sharing ideas.
3. Keep learning
Read and try to take in everything you can. The more you learn, the more confident you become in starting projects.
4. See the good in bad
When encountering obstacles or challenging goals, you want to be in the habit of finding what works to get over them.
5. Stop thinking
Just do. If you find motivation for a particular project lacking, try getting started on something else. Something trivial even, then you’ll develop the momentum to begin the more important stuff.
6. Know yourself
Keep notes on when your motivation sucks and when you feel like a superstar. There will be a pattern that, once you are aware of, you can work around and develop.
7. Track your progress
Keep a tally or a progress bar for ongoing projects. When you see something growing, you will always want to nurture it.
8. Help others
Share your ideas and help friends get motivated. Seeing others do well will motivate you to do the same. Write about your success and get feedback from readers.
9. Find Mentors
Find people who are willing to mentor you. Have conversations with them on a regular basis - understand that they might be busy and value their time. You will be surprised at the difference a mentor can have in your life.
10. Set Daily Goals
The night before or in the morning, create a list of things you need to achieve. Follow the list through out the day and check all the things you completed. You will find it gratifying hitting the checkbox.
Below are 5 characteristic of a successful person that I have noticed by meeting people from all walks of life.
1) Successful people work very hard - Typically they are the hardest working people in a company and lead by example. Just because you work smart, does not mean you can't work hard. When you combine working smart and working hard, you get a recipe for success. They will be the first in and last one the leave. They will be the one who are often offering/volunteering for a job. They will not be ashamed to do any job or will not have an attitude that they are 'too good' for a particular job.
2) Successful people ask for help - Knowing when to ask for help is very important and also vital to growth. It important to know 1) you don't know everything and 2) you don't have the same experience as someone else. A successful person who surround themselves with people who are genuine and willing to help is required. They will not have an EGO or think less of themselves by asking for help. They will not feel weaken by asking someone for assistance. It's all in the mindset. The best subject matters are those who are working on the field.
3) Successful people help others - They are always willing on helping people and a very open to networking people selflessly. They will not thing 'What's in it for me'. They will connect people just because they feel two people or companies will benefit each other. You often meet people who like to guard their network and "connection" - these people are not successful, they just know alot of people. All successful people I know are open to connecting people out of simply the kindness of their heart.
4) Successful people are transparent - Successful people have nothing to hide and they are completely transparent. They lead by example and are willing to share their knowledge and information openly.
5) Successful people listen to others and their institution - simply put, they will take advise from everyone but at the end they will do what they feel is right.
95% is self-belief.
Self-esteem is pretty stable but self-belief changes and defines someone character.
Self belief in believing in yourself and feeling capable. Ones you reach an optimal level of self-belief (Not self confident or over confidence), you will notice you life will become a lot easier, goals will be easier to reach and everything will start falling in place.
Having self-belief is important to copying and thriving under stress. In our lives, we face many stressful situation caused by problems in school, work, friendships or other factors. When you have strong self-belief those problems are nothing more than check box you need to tick-off before moving on.
You will always have a better chance influencing and persuading others. Self-belief and positive attitude, goes hand in hand. It helps you reduce negative thoughts, decrease anxiety and make you more fearless. Fearless is very important characters. When you believe in yourself and believe what you are doing is right, being fearless comes natural.
Use of Secret Weapon.
On another unrelated topic, always have a secret weapons. Its always good to be open and transparent but when it comes winning battles and wars, you need to keep a secret weapons just in case you need to use it. It's like playing a hand of poker, always keep your hands hidden until the end. Majority of the players will leave mid way. If you can win without using your weapon than you should do that. Never expose it. Never let anyone see it - hence the name secret weapons. A secret weapons enhances your self-belief.
I know I promise to blog more often so this is a quick blog.
I really don't have a topic to talk about but I would just like to share some thoughts. Random thoughts :)
Let your work speak for you. If you work hard, you will be appreciated. Hard work and consistency will beat talent every time.
Don't keep a track of what everyone has. Be aware of what everyone is doing but your eyes should not be on their rewards but on their actions.
Keep an open mind. Welcome thoughts and ideas from other people. Sometimes we are too close to it to see it. Sometime it makes sense to situate yourself away and you can get a better picture.
Treat everyone with respect. You don't know what they been through and you don't know what their future holds.
The smartest person is the room isn't the smartest because of their intelligence level but because they take into consideration everyone's opinions.
Another year is almost done. Going into the holiday season now.
It feels like every year that goes by, it’s a bitter sweet moment.
Although we are often ponder upon our goals and achievement, what we don’t have, what someone else, ultimately if we are truly living to our full potential. We forget to count our blessing and it can be quite depressing.
We often forget our fortunate we are for everything we have.
It happens to all of us, even me. As if I am immune to human emotions. This year, I got to see a lot. More importantly, I saw Monaco and half a billion dollars yachts. A city where you own property if you really made it in life. Financially.
And it got me thinking. I mean it’s certain that one day I will have a house and yacht is Monaco too. But it is depressing. The more you have the more you want. And although the hunger is the same, I feel its exponential when you move up. Use your dream and desires as energy and fuel to push towards to it.
But I come to realization that there is a long way to go still. That you cannot get comfortable, that you need to move forward. This year was like a vacation. Business was going good as usual but not the exponential growth we had in the past. It’s time to buckle up the sleeves and get to work. 💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼
It's been a long time! Hope my readers are doing well. Although I haven't post anything on this blog for almost a year, I am surprised to see over 250 weekly visitors. I hope those reading my blog find the content valuable.
What have been up in the last 10 months? Lots and very little.
This year, I really had an opportunity to explore alot of the world.
The first place I visited this year was Brazil - I mean Mexico. We were actually suppose to go to Brazil for a few days, booked the flight, the hotels, the boat and all. Ones we got to the airport, our friend who organized the trip forgot to mention one little detail - we needed a visa for Brazil even if you are a Canadian citizen. It normally takes about a week to get the visa. We decided to make an impulse decision and ended up in Cancun. Ended up just booking the flight there and booking a resort ones we landed. It was a really good resort, RIU. Cancun was fun, did a lot of water activities, jet sking, parasailing, speed boating. Went to a few clubs. Overall it was very relaxing long weekend.
Some of the things I liked about Cancun
1) The vibe was really good
2) The all inclusive resort treated us very well
3) The clubs and activities were fun
Some of the things I hated about Cancun
1) The tip culture can get very annoying
2) People would haggle you
After that was Manchester UK. I will tell you more about it in my next blog. I am going to try to rewrite more frequently and less :)
Quote of the Blog: Don't Sweat The Small Stuff
This is the blog I don't want to write. I want to write about a topic that is very sensitive but I don't have the courage to write it just yet. Maybe in the next one, I will.
So what's going on in my world? Things have been going pretty good. Can't complain, life has been good to me. The first month just ended and things are starting to pick up now. It was an eventful Q4 and this year, finally got a chance to get away. Went to Mexico for about 3 days (a weekend trip) and it was quite an experience. What I like the most about Mexico, well mainly cancun because that's where we stayed.
Cancun had some amazing beaches, a nice all inclusive hotel, the water sports there are pretty cool - for the first time I went parasailing and rode an ATV in the jungle. I also did jet ski! I also like the club scene, it was alot of fun. I like how people there are happy and cheerful. I didn't find many grumpy people there and also all the tourist there are friendly. The food was amazing, I would definitely recommend you stay at RIU Palace when you are down there.
What I didn't like was how some people would hassle you for a tip. It gets annoying after a while. Not to say we didn't tip but constantly asking for a tip, ruins the experience. I also didn't like how people will constantly market their venue as you walk down the street and get into your personal space. Haha personal space! Definitely a first world concept. But I understand from their perspective too, they need to make a sale and they need to make a living. I actually found them respectful as when you say no, they don't hassle you anymore.
I will try to post the picture after.
From the business perspective, things are doing pretty well. We are well diversified right now and the goal for 2018 is to continue to the diversification of income into passive and secure opportunities. The LMTS collection hasn't kicked off as I wanted but still hanging in there and going strong. Other than that we are still going strong with everyone!
We are looking into franchisees, various marketing channels, traditional marketplaces.
Also considering opening a marketing office in India - probably Banglore.
Family is good. They are constant source of encouragement and motivation. #blessed
So I want to talk about being positive. To be honest, its difficult to control our emotions sometime, we often feel left out, feel people are judging us/we are judging people, question our accomplishments. For me, the hardest thing in the world is to be satisfied with myself. I feel I am very hard on myself and am always pushing myself. This might appear to be a good thing on the surface but it can be very difficult. As Lil Wayne said, the top gets higher, the more that you climb. And although I love challenges, every time I accomplish anything, it's like what's next. I am constantly thinking, you live life only one time, you need to make the most of it. [Unless there is reincarnation and if there is, that's awesome. ]
So this is what I do to stay positive and it does help.
1. Stay connected - I will randomly message someone I talked to along time ago, like an old friend or sometimes even a stranger and talk about completely random topics. Ensuring the conversation is positive. I feel this increases happiness, reduces loneliness and get support. ONE KEY THING TO REMEMBER IS when ever I reach out to someone, its a completely selfless motive, I do not expect anything from this person, I do not want anything materialistic or non-tangible, I do not want to gossip about others. Its a simple, selfless, genuine act.
2. Which brings to the next point - to stay positive, you have to be POSITIVE - which means NO negative thoughts/ no pessimistic behavior (Push them aside), be thankful and grateful for everything you have. Trust me if you are reading this blog, you are better than 90% of the world. Please don't make me go all. Write on a positive future, remove downers from your life, and finally consider views from an alternative perspective. To be honest, I was upset because a few months back one of my old friend did something that I found to be hurtful. I won't talk about what it was. But when it happened, at first I was sad, then I was a bigger person and acknowledged the situation. I started to see things from other people's perspective, remember there are people in the world who will not like you because you make them feel bad about themselves and that's not your fault. Regardless of how honest, humble and helpful you are. Alot of time people don't like you because they like you (I know it sounds confusion but its true, people dont like you because they like you or because other people like you) Also when you are blessed with so many positive things in life, there are people who would for a lack of a better word 'hate'. What I am trying to say is, you need to stay positive and see things from various perspective.
3. Work out. I notice whenever I am stress or need to clear my brain, I go for a run or work out. This helps more than you think.
4. Helping others mainly those are in need. I mean that's one of the reason why we do so much charity work, its a selfish reason but you feel good/ you feel positive when you make a positive impact. This year alone we donated hoodies to the woman shelter, donated toys to kids, donated funds for kids with mental health issues, woman with breast cancer and much much more.
5. Toughen up. It might sound a bit harsh but toughen the **** up! Life is not easy, there are ups and downs, enjoy it like a roller-coaster, live it like a game, and don't take things too seriously. We only get one chance on this planet, make the best of it. Live life as fearlessly as possible.
Almost the end of the year!
This year has been a phenomenal year for me.
I know I should write more frequently. I really do not have any excuses but here are some thoughts on a blog.
From a personal life perspective, life has been amazing. I feel as I get older, I am getting closer to my family which is a great thing. My brother is almost done his executive MBA from University of Toronto. I am excited for him to finish but am extremely proud of it. He was able to balance both his MBA and business. It’s an amazing feature. He is also so much more confident and a good public speaker.
I got married this year to a pretty amazing woman. It was a dream wedding. People had flown in from all over the world to bless us. It was good to catch up with everything and share this amazing movement with those who came. The wedding was like 5 different things – engagement, sangeeta, grah santi, wedding and reception. It was truly an amazing wedding and I got to ride on a horse. The reception was wonderful and magical. I truly have to thank my family – my dad, mother and brother for making it an amazing experience. I’ll see if I can post a picture of my cake but it was incredible (You can probably stalk my instagram and get it) We haven’t had a chance to go to our honeymoon yet but we will in the near future.
I also had my bachelor party in Ibiza for 10 days and that was just insane. Asides for renting a private villa and partying like a rock star in the clubs of Ibiza, we also did alot of tourist things. Saw the old cities, gypies, went suba diving, water sports. It was not only relaxing but alot of fun to spend time with the people I was close to. I can’t thank my brother and all the groomsmen for making my bach 10 days epic.
Bombay is growing up very fast and he is honestly one of the best things that has ever happened to me. He always keeps me in good mood and is there when I need someone. He makes an awesome playmate. He is spoiled, loved and adored by everyone
To be honest, I feel my life is going in the right direction and everything is smooth sailing. I also visited Bermuda for my brother’s friend wedding and it is an amazing country with lots of pretty down to earth, friendly and ‘chilled’ people. I went to Philippines as well where we established a call center. It was fun seeing the world and getting a new perspective. I am so blessed for everything I have in life and I wish the blessing continues to come. Not planning any kids anytime soon plus Bombay is alot of work. I don’t have much to complain from a personal life perspective expect the fact that you have to sacrifice social life for work but its worth in. I also connected with alot of people this year both old and new friends.
Only thing I would say is I need to work out more and stay in shape. I feel like I am getting out of shape. I also should probably sleep more but I am not a big fan of sleeping! Another thing was when one of my close family- cousin try to replicate one of our brands. Ofcourse we found out about it but imagine how divested we were when we found out what he did. Not only did we take care of him when he was here. I made sure he was okay and would have done anything to help him. He didn’t have to stab me in the back. Either-way, it was a lesson learn. Keep your eyes open the whole time and watch out for snakes.
Business is going well as expect J We double of revenue from last year and hoping to continue to momentum in next year. We have also diversified into several other businesses including call centers, BPO, marketing. Am actively looking into stock and real estated. Launched over 50 new brands and continue to dominate the online market. We are officially one of the largest Facebook, Snapchat and Google advertiser. We are also DHL eCommerce biggest customer. Truly, lucky to have reached such a relatively good spot and am hoping to continue growing. We got a lot of surprised and plans for next year ;)
There hasn’t been many issues from a business perfect expect two of our offshore employees were let go because we decide to have a centralized office. They decide to take revenge by refunding customers. Although majority of it was recovered we still lost alot of revenue. It crazy because not only did we hire these two couple for over 3 years. We paid them fairly well – they made as much as a doctor or CEO in Philippines . It crazy how evil and vengeful some people can be. Another issue is a law firm suing us for a jewelry that was created and recommended by a jewelry manufacturer based out of China. It’s pretty stupid because 1) we did not manufacture the jewelry 2) the supplier told us it was his own design 3) the design is not the same, its similar. It’s pretty crazy how the US works. I mean how do you sue a convenience store if a wholesaler or a manufacture comes and sells them an item. What’s even more odd is that we are being used personally. Which makes no sense because 1) we give our suppliers the ability to upload products 2) our total staff is over 150 and we are not involved in the marketing/manufacturing of goods 3) the reason for being incorporated is so you are not liable personally. On top of it all we didn’t even sell much of it! CRAZY! I guess everyone has to make a living. Some do it with hard work while some... haha okay i should stop here. That’s all for my rant. Aside from these two issues, it been an amazing year for us.
What’s the plan in the new year! 1) GYM GYM GYM (I NEED TO GET IN SHAPE) 2) Try to hit the B mark 3) Try to be more expressive with my opinion.
I will post some pictures shortly.
I know alot of people read this post and tell me they are inspired by it. For those: Keep going strong. You know you are successful when people are aiming at you. Keep your head up high and continue the fight. It’s harder when you are a minority or an immigrant but I guarantee you with hard honest work, constant changes and a positive attitude. You can achieve anything you want in life.
Here is to another great year! Hoping for more to come. I will try to post one more before the new year.
To Be Continue.
Amar Gandhi, 28