There is alot of bad in this world and its very easily to get wrapped up into it.
Social media, newspaper, blogs, alot of it is focused around negativity around the world. This will start to impact you if you follow it. It will make you angry and depressed. Yes, the world is not a perfect place but there is so much goodness that's overlooked. Don't waste your time and energy looking into all the bad things that are happening (Be conscious and aware of it) but focus on all the good things!
It's important to keep a positive mindset. It's tough but vital to both your physical and emotional being. I feel its even more important in the morning. How you start your day will determine how the rest of your day will be.
Below are a few ways to stay positive when the media is shoving so much negativity down your throat.
1) FOCUS - keep your focus positive at all time. Start your day off by reading a paragraph from a good book or self-talk in the mirror calling yourself a LEGEND
2) AWARE - Be aware of the negativity and do not let it suck you in. Understand that things happen - develop a tough skip and go back to point 1) focusing on the good things in life
3) Get into ROUTINE- It's important to get into a routine in which your life is so busy that you don't have time or energy to focus on the negative aspects of life. Get into a positive routine.
4) WORKOUT - endorphins released when working out not only helps you with stress but can put you in a good good.
5) Engage in POSITIVE CONTENT - Just like it's important to keep a positive circle. It's important to consume positive content. Below some sources which provide a dose of happiness and is content around happy and happy news.
6) Develop a POSITIVE mindset - Yes not all days are going to to be the best. Yes there is stress from work, school or other aspect of life. It's not the end of the world. Focus on the positive and not the negative.
7) Be Grateful for everything you have.
I came across an interesting person while doing some research on successful people. Now this is not to suggest you should do this, I mean 99.99% of the people wouldn't do this.
This is a story of Joseph Tsai.
Tsai became a tax associate at Sullivan & Cromwell right after graduation and was admitted in New York on May 6, 1991. After three years at the law firm, he switched to private equity and joined Rosecliff, Inc., a small management buyout firm based in New York, as vice president and general counsel, seeking a role that allowed him to make decisions instead of providing advice. He left for Hong Kong in 1995 to join Investor AB, where he was responsible for its Asian private equity investments.
It was in this role that he first met Jack Ma in 1999 in Hangzhou after being introduced by a friend who was trying to sell his own company to Ma. Tsai was impressed with Ma’s idea to create an international import and export marketplace, as well as his charismatic personality, but it was Ma's followers and their energy and enthusiasm that ultimately convinced Tsai. Later that year he quit the $700,000-a-year job at Investor AB and offered to join Ma as a member of the founding team for almost nothing. At the time each of Alibaba’s 18 co-founders—of which Tsai was the only Western-educated member—accepted a salary of only $600 a year. He served as chief operating officer, chief financial officer, and founding board member. He single-handedly established Alibaba's financial and legal structure, since no other member of the team had any experience in venture capital or law. In May 2013, he became Alibaba's executive vice chairman. Due to his unique contribution, he has become the second-largest individual shareholder of Alibaba, right after Ma.
Joseph is now worth 9.7 billion USD
I was puzzled by this and couldn't explain it. I mean, I don't know what I would have done had I been in Tsai shoes. Then someone explained it to me, they mentioned that people see potential and its for the long-run. Tsai could have always picked up the phone and gone back to work in a similar job but he took that risk because he believed in something. It's more of long-term thinking versus short-term thinking. Its the same thinking that turns a teller into a CEO or alternatively, the teller can remain a teller.
A few weeks ago, I asked my fellow Instagram people and bots, if they are a wire and a plug. I would say it was an even split between the two, between those that are wire and those that are plugs. I even got a dozen of confused messages asking what does that mean, wire or a plug?
I swear I have not indulged in any natural or chemically engineered substances.
The whole concept of wires and plugs is about who we are in society. What our strength and weakness are. However ones we realize who we are, we can use that to our advantage and focus on achieving goals.
Two plugs without any wires are useless and two wires without any plugs are useless.
So what is a plug? By definition it's "a device for making an electrical connection, especially between an appliance and a power supply, consisting of an insulated casing with metal pins that fit into holes in an outlet." How does that apply to people. Plugs are usually people who connect everything together. They are vital for any projects. Although, they may not seem like they are doing anything they actually play an important part in our society. They have a special skill set of attracting, motivating and inspiring people. They perform the best when working with people - using the strength and weakness of people. Just because you are a plug, doesn't mean you have great leadership qualities or are controlling. It just means, you know how to get things done - usually by putting 2 and 2 together, rather than doing it all yourself.
What's a wire? By definition it's "a wire or wire rope by which force is exerted to control or operate a mechanism" They are very important as they themselves, get things done. They are responsible to delivering a target or sets of targets. They are specialized, highly focused individuals who when connected with other wires and the right plug, become a formidable combination. I always like to see myself as a wire, versus a plug. A plug can have multiple wires attached to it to deliver a function. Having multiple wires without a plug is useless.
So think about it. What role do you play in society. Are you a wire or plug. One is not better or superior than the other, it's just different.
Most Important Keep a Positive Attitude
The Motivation Technique: 10 Steps
1. Start simple
Keep motivators around your work area – things that give you that initial spark to get going.
2. Keep good company
Make more regular encounters with positive and motivated people. This could be as simple as IM chats with peers or a quick discussion with a friend who likes sharing ideas.
3. Keep learning
Read and try to take in everything you can. The more you learn, the more confident you become in starting projects.
4. See the good in bad
When encountering obstacles or challenging goals, you want to be in the habit of finding what works to get over them.
5. Stop thinking
Just do. If you find motivation for a particular project lacking, try getting started on something else. Something trivial even, then you’ll develop the momentum to begin the more important stuff.
6. Know yourself
Keep notes on when your motivation sucks and when you feel like a superstar. There will be a pattern that, once you are aware of, you can work around and develop.
7. Track your progress
Keep a tally or a progress bar for ongoing projects. When you see something growing, you will always want to nurture it.
8. Help others
Share your ideas and help friends get motivated. Seeing others do well will motivate you to do the same. Write about your success and get feedback from readers.
9. Find Mentors
Find people who are willing to mentor you. Have conversations with them on a regular basis - understand that they might be busy and value their time. You will be surprised at the difference a mentor can have in your life.
10. Set Daily Goals
The night before or in the morning, create a list of things you need to achieve. Follow the list through out the day and check all the things you completed. You will find it gratifying hitting the checkbox.
Below are 5 characteristic of a successful person that I have noticed by meeting people from all walks of life.
1) Successful people work very hard - Typically they are the hardest working people in a company and lead by example. Just because you work smart, does not mean you can't work hard. When you combine working smart and working hard, you get a recipe for success. They will be the first in and last one the leave. They will be the one who are often offering/volunteering for a job. They will not be ashamed to do any job or will not have an attitude that they are 'too good' for a particular job.
2) Successful people ask for help - Knowing when to ask for help is very important and also vital to growth. It important to know 1) you don't know everything and 2) you don't have the same experience as someone else. A successful person who surround themselves with people who are genuine and willing to help is required. They will not have an EGO or think less of themselves by asking for help. They will not feel weaken by asking someone for assistance. It's all in the mindset. The best subject matters are those who are working on the field.
3) Successful people help others - They are always willing on helping people and a very open to networking people selflessly. They will not thing 'What's in it for me'. They will connect people just because they feel two people or companies will benefit each other. You often meet people who like to guard their network and "connection" - these people are not successful, they just know alot of people. All successful people I know are open to connecting people out of simply the kindness of their heart.
4) Successful people are transparent - Successful people have nothing to hide and they are completely transparent. They lead by example and are willing to share their knowledge and information openly.
5) Successful people listen to others and their institution - simply put, they will take advise from everyone but at the end they will do what they feel is right.
95% is self-belief.
Self-esteem is pretty stable but self-belief changes and defines someone character.
Self belief in believing in yourself and feeling capable. Ones you reach an optimal level of self-belief (Not self confident or over confidence), you will notice you life will become a lot easier, goals will be easier to reach and everything will start falling in place.
Having self-belief is important to copying and thriving under stress. In our lives, we face many stressful situation caused by problems in school, work, friendships or other factors. When you have strong self-belief those problems are nothing more than check box you need to tick-off before moving on.
You will always have a better chance influencing and persuading others. Self-belief and positive attitude, goes hand in hand. It helps you reduce negative thoughts, decrease anxiety and make you more fearless. Fearless is very important characters. When you believe in yourself and believe what you are doing is right, being fearless comes natural.
Use of Secret Weapon.
On another unrelated topic, always have a secret weapons. Its always good to be open and transparent but when it comes winning battles and wars, you need to keep a secret weapons just in case you need to use it. It's like playing a hand of poker, always keep your hands hidden until the end. Majority of the players will leave mid way. If you can win without using your weapon than you should do that. Never expose it. Never let anyone see it - hence the name secret weapons. A secret weapons enhances your self-belief.
I know I promise to blog more often so this is a quick blog.
I really don't have a topic to talk about but I would just like to share some thoughts. Random thoughts :)
Let your work speak for you. If you work hard, you will be appreciated. Hard work and consistency will beat talent every time.
Don't keep a track of what everyone has. Be aware of what everyone is doing but your eyes should not be on their rewards but on their actions.
Keep an open mind. Welcome thoughts and ideas from other people. Sometimes we are too close to it to see it. Sometime it makes sense to situate yourself away and you can get a better picture.
Treat everyone with respect. You don't know what they been through and you don't know what their future holds.
The smartest person is the room isn't the smartest because of their intelligence level but because they take into consideration everyone's opinions.
Another year is almost done. Going into the holiday season now.
It feels like every year that goes by, it’s a bitter sweet moment.
Although we are often ponder upon our goals and achievement, what we don’t have, what someone else, ultimately if we are truly living to our full potential. We forget to count our blessing and it can be quite depressing.
We often forget our fortunate we are for everything we have.
It happens to all of us, even me. As if I am immune to human emotions. This year, I got to see a lot. More importantly, I saw Monaco and half a billion dollars yachts. A city where you own property if you really made it in life. Financially.
And it got me thinking. I mean it’s certain that one day I will have a house and yacht is Monaco too. But it is depressing. The more you have the more you want. And although the hunger is the same, I feel its exponential when you move up. Use your dream and desires as energy and fuel to push towards to it.
But I come to realization that there is a long way to go still. That you cannot get comfortable, that you need to move forward. This year was like a vacation. Business was going good as usual but not the exponential growth we had in the past. It’s time to buckle up the sleeves and get to work. 💪🏼💪🏼💪🏼
It's been a long time! Hope my readers are doing well. Although I haven't post anything on this blog for almost a year, I am surprised to see over 250 weekly visitors. I hope those reading my blog find the content valuable.
What have been up in the last 10 months? Lots and very little.
This year, I really had an opportunity to explore alot of the world.
The first place I visited this year was Brazil - I mean Mexico. We were actually suppose to go to Brazil for a few days, booked the flight, the hotels, the boat and all. Ones we got to the airport, our friend who organized the trip forgot to mention one little detail - we needed a visa for Brazil even if you are a Canadian citizen. It normally takes about a week to get the visa. We decided to make an impulse decision and ended up in Cancun. Ended up just booking the flight there and booking a resort ones we landed. It was a really good resort, RIU. Cancun was fun, did a lot of water activities, jet sking, parasailing, speed boating. Went to a few clubs. Overall it was very relaxing long weekend.
Some of the things I liked about Cancun
1) The vibe was really good
2) The all inclusive resort treated us very well
3) The clubs and activities were fun
Some of the things I hated about Cancun
1) The tip culture can get very annoying
2) People would haggle you
After that was Manchester UK. I will tell you more about it in my next blog. I am going to try to rewrite more frequently and less :)
Quote of the Blog: Don't Sweat The Small Stuff
This is the blog I don't want to write. I want to write about a topic that is very sensitive but I don't have the courage to write it just yet. Maybe in the next one, I will.
So what's going on in my world? Things have been going pretty good. Can't complain, life has been good to me. The first month just ended and things are starting to pick up now. It was an eventful Q4 and this year, finally got a chance to get away. Went to Mexico for about 3 days (a weekend trip) and it was quite an experience. What I like the most about Mexico, well mainly cancun because that's where we stayed.
Cancun had some amazing beaches, a nice all inclusive hotel, the water sports there are pretty cool - for the first time I went parasailing and rode an ATV in the jungle. I also did jet ski! I also like the club scene, it was alot of fun. I like how people there are happy and cheerful. I didn't find many grumpy people there and also all the tourist there are friendly. The food was amazing, I would definitely recommend you stay at RIU Palace when you are down there.
What I didn't like was how some people would hassle you for a tip. It gets annoying after a while. Not to say we didn't tip but constantly asking for a tip, ruins the experience. I also didn't like how people will constantly market their venue as you walk down the street and get into your personal space. Haha personal space! Definitely a first world concept. But I understand from their perspective too, they need to make a sale and they need to make a living. I actually found them respectful as when you say no, they don't hassle you anymore.
I will try to post the picture after.
From the business perspective, things are doing pretty well. We are well diversified right now and the goal for 2018 is to continue to the diversification of income into passive and secure opportunities. The LMTS collection hasn't kicked off as I wanted but still hanging in there and going strong. Other than that we are still going strong with everyone!
We are looking into franchisees, various marketing channels, traditional marketplaces.
Also considering opening a marketing office in India - probably Banglore.
Family is good. They are constant source of encouragement and motivation. #blessed
So I want to talk about being positive. To be honest, its difficult to control our emotions sometime, we often feel left out, feel people are judging us/we are judging people, question our accomplishments. For me, the hardest thing in the world is to be satisfied with myself. I feel I am very hard on myself and am always pushing myself. This might appear to be a good thing on the surface but it can be very difficult. As Lil Wayne said, the top gets higher, the more that you climb. And although I love challenges, every time I accomplish anything, it's like what's next. I am constantly thinking, you live life only one time, you need to make the most of it. [Unless there is reincarnation and if there is, that's awesome. ]
So this is what I do to stay positive and it does help.
1. Stay connected - I will randomly message someone I talked to along time ago, like an old friend or sometimes even a stranger and talk about completely random topics. Ensuring the conversation is positive. I feel this increases happiness, reduces loneliness and get support. ONE KEY THING TO REMEMBER IS when ever I reach out to someone, its a completely selfless motive, I do not expect anything from this person, I do not want anything materialistic or non-tangible, I do not want to gossip about others. Its a simple, selfless, genuine act.
2. Which brings to the next point - to stay positive, you have to be POSITIVE - which means NO negative thoughts/ no pessimistic behavior (Push them aside), be thankful and grateful for everything you have. Trust me if you are reading this blog, you are better than 90% of the world. Please don't make me go all. Write on a positive future, remove downers from your life, and finally consider views from an alternative perspective. To be honest, I was upset because a few months back one of my old friend did something that I found to be hurtful. I won't talk about what it was. But when it happened, at first I was sad, then I was a bigger person and acknowledged the situation. I started to see things from other people's perspective, remember there are people in the world who will not like you because you make them feel bad about themselves and that's not your fault. Regardless of how honest, humble and helpful you are. Alot of time people don't like you because they like you (I know it sounds confusion but its true, people dont like you because they like you or because other people like you) Also when you are blessed with so many positive things in life, there are people who would for a lack of a better word 'hate'. What I am trying to say is, you need to stay positive and see things from various perspective.
3. Work out. I notice whenever I am stress or need to clear my brain, I go for a run or work out. This helps more than you think.
4. Helping others mainly those are in need. I mean that's one of the reason why we do so much charity work, its a selfish reason but you feel good/ you feel positive when you make a positive impact. This year alone we donated hoodies to the woman shelter, donated toys to kids, donated funds for kids with mental health issues, woman with breast cancer and much much more.
5. Toughen up. It might sound a bit harsh but toughen the **** up! Life is not easy, there are ups and downs, enjoy it like a roller-coaster, live it like a game, and don't take things too seriously. We only get one chance on this planet, make the best of it. Live life as fearlessly as possible.
Amar Gandhi, 28